Saturday, October 3, 2015

Zucchini Pickles - Recipe #94

I've often longed to be the kind of person who ¨puts up¨ summer's bounty, making preserves and pickles, but other than a time or two helping my mom and next door neighbor make blackberry jam years ago or helping my grandma cut up pears, I've never followed through. In part, I'm reluctant to purchase canning equipment that will take up space. I'm also mildly fearful of botulism. I have a good friend who swears by refrigerator pickles though and this recipe, made by Trent's aunt Norma on the occasion of his parents' bridal shower, looked to be adaptable.

Trent is not a fan of fresh zucchini, so I figured that I may have to eat this jar of pickles alone. However, in the magic process of pickling, zucchini no longer has its trademark taste or texture. The verdict: ¨they taste like pickles¨ (and fortunately, the sweet pickles that his family loves, rather than dills).

This is a great recipe to make on a lazy day close to home, as there is plenty of time spent letting them ¨stand¨. I made a half batch, mostly because my CSA share delivered 1 lb. of zucchini the previous week, as well as only having one small onion left.

Zucchini Pickles
  • 2 lbs. zucchini
  • 2 small onions
  • 1/4 c. salt
  • 2 c. white vinegar
  • 2 c. sugar
  • 1 tsp. tumeric
  • 1 tsp. celery seed
  • 1 tsp. mustard seed
Washin zucchini and cut into thin slices. Peel and slice onions. Cover vegetables with water and add salt. Let stand for 2 hrs., then drain thoroughly. Bring remaining ingredients to a boil and pour over vegetables. Let stand for 2 hours, then bring everything to a boil for 5 minutes. Pack in hot, sterilized jars and seal (or worry a little less about proper sealing technique if you plan to eat immediately as we are doing). Makes about 3 pints.

No comments: