Friday, October 2, 2015

Beef Stroganoff - Recipe #93

Well, the heat of summer has disappeared and with it, my desire to spend hours in the kitchen has returned. Since I gave myself just one year to finish my Loose Recipe Challenge and my first recipe was made on October 16 I have just two weeks to finish 13 new recipes. I have full confidence that I can pull it off, though it may mean that friends and family will have to pull together to help eat the dessert because I don't think Trent and I can handle it alone.

I started back up again in earnest last week, making six recipes between Thursday and Sunday (the 13 recipes don't include these). First up was Trent's mom's beef stroganoff recipe, given to him back when we first started dating - one of the first recipes that he cooked for me. Trent's comment, ¨it taste's like the food I grew up with.¨ Exactly the effect one would hope for...

2 servings
Cut 1/2 to 1 lb. steak into bite-sized pieces (I used the smaller amount of meat). With less tender meat, cut very thin strips. Partially frozen meat is easiest to cut (I've always known this, but don't usually follow the advice. This time I did and it made everything so much easier). Brown meat in skillet over med. heat in 1-2 T oil or butter.

(start rice now if making)

Wash and quarter 1/4 to 1/2 lb. mushrooms (I used the greater amount of mushrooms). Remove outer layer and dice 1/2 yellow onion. Cook over med. heat in 1-2 T. oil or butter until done (about 10 min.) Or add 1 can mushrooms, drained, and 2 t. dried onion.

Add 1/2 can beef broth, 1 T catsup and 1/2 t. salt to meat and vegetables. (start noodles now if making). Simmer covered for 10 min. Or add extra water to compensate for escaping steam if not covered.

Mix a little cold water or broth with 2 T flour, then stir into hot meat mixture. Boil, stirring constantly for 1 min. until it thickens.

Add 2-3 T sour cream. Do not boil. For more sauce, add more sour cream (and calories). Serve over hot noodles or rice.

No comments: