Thursday, October 8, 2015

Thursday Thought

¨Lots of people have all the time in the world, and yet they don't know it. They fill their time - that's the problem; they clutter their lives. Then they discover they have none. But they once did, even if they did not know it.¨
Alexander McCall Smith, The Novel Habits of Happiness

Why are we so busy nowadays? At the library recently, I overheard one of our children's staff inviting a family to our upcoming Lego Robotics program. ¨Oh, we don't have any time - the kids have too many other obligations.¨ It made me a bit sad that there was no time for a more spur-of-the-moment idea for them, but not too surprised.

Perhaps I'm particularly susceptible to feeling busy at the moment. I just started teaching a series of classes on Best New Picture Books to childcare providers and parents. At the same time, I have a few closing meetings for my trip to Tanzania, am a part of my church's ¨long range strategic planning taskforce¨, which requires a few small group discussions this month and still go to choir on Thursday nights. It's getting so an evening home is a rare and lovely treat. Time for me to start guarding my time a bit more (though not too jealously, as I have a tendency towards holing up at home as the evenings get darker).

No comments: