Monday, October 19, 2015

Grilled Pork Tenderloin - Recipe #108

I hate grilling - but I love pork tenderloin, so it is no surprise that while I kept this recipe from Trent's mom, I never had made it before the Recipe Challenge. I adore the smell of lighter fluid and charcoal together (though I know it is probably not the best for me), but I can never seem to get them to actually light - or if I do, I don't have the patience for the coals to glow with heat. So I was a little nervous having this as one of my final recipes in the month of October, always iffy grilling weather. Fortunately, we have had a lovely early autumn and I had a willing grill-er/sous chef in Trent. I did have to make one substitution - I could not find guava jelly anywhere, so I substituted red pepper jelly. Delish! I served some of the leftover marinade sauce on a salmon burger.

Grilled Pork Tenderloin
Brine:
  • 1 1/2 Tbs. salt
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 cups boiling water
  • 2 cups cold water
Stir salt and sugar in boiling water to dissolve, then add cold water. Add meat and brine in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.

Rub:
  • 3 Tbs. Spanish paprika
  • 1 Tbs. cumin
  • 2 tsp. ground fennel
  • 1 Tbs. ground mustard
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • coarse black pepper
Mix spices together and rub into meat, then coat with olive oil. Grill meat 5 to 6 min. per side over med. hot coals, turning 1/4 turn each time, and basting with glaze often.

Glaze:
  • 1 cup guava jelly
  • 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • salt & pepper
Reserve some glaze for serving, adding cilantro.

No comments: