Thursday, October 15, 2015

Thursday Thought



“Learning – by definition – will always feel inauthentic. Practicing a new behavior, showing up in a new way, or acting differently, feels inauthentic. Changing a dance that’s been danced many times before will never feel natural. It will feel awkward, fake, like pretending.”
Peter Bregman “A Simple Formula for Changing Our Behavior”, Harvard Business Review

I don't know why this resonated with me when I read it earlier this week. Perhaps because I never thought I was the kind of person who would read the Harvard Business Review regularly - at a point in time, it would have been ¨inauthentic¨, but now I look forward to finding new articles in my blog feed. Or the fact that my first day on the job as an Assistant Managing Librarian, I felt a bit like a fraud. It's not just imposter syndrome, it is that when we learn, we are doing the things that don't just come naturally to us - whether in work or in life.

No comments: