Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Steak (or I learn a valuable lesson) - Recipe # 98

The next ¨recipe¨ barely counts as a recipe, as it is more like basic cooking instructions given to Trent by his mom when we first got together. I rarely make steak, in part because I am terrified of over- or under-cooking. So this time, I decided to make use of our handy-dandy oven thermometer. Knowing the interior temperature of the meat would surely prevent any errors. Sadly, I had not made the connection that the broiler might be dangerous to the poor little thermometer. I glanced over to see that it read 345 degrees (at least 200 degrees hotter than I wanted the interior of my meat) and quickly yanked open the oven only to see a small orange flame on the wire of the temperature gauge. I removed it and kept a true fire from starting, but sadly it no longer worked. And I ended up with steak a little rarer than I would have liked. Fortunately, there is a happy ending. I just received my replacement probe in the mail (hooray for the internets!) and will be testing it out on a couple of the last recipes of the challenge.

Steak
Buy 4 oz. to 1 lb. per person depending on waste (fat and bone). Use porterhouse, T-bone, tenderloin, New York, rib-eye, *minute, *sirloin. (* less tender, less expensive)

Trim fat, slash edges of any remaining fat to prevent curling when cooking.

Set oven and temp. to broil (550 - leave door open). Place meat on broiler pan so top of 1 in. steak is 2-3 in. from heat, place thicker steak lower. Outside grill -- put meat about 4 in. from hot coals.

Broil till brown on both sides, turning only once. Check for doneness by cutting slit in thickest part of meat or next to bone. Medium is pink in the center. Will take 15 to 30 min. depending on size, thickness, and personal choice. First side takes longer and outdoor grilling is usually a little quicker.

Season after cooking.

No comments: