Thursday, October 1, 2015

Thursday Thought

¨You do not need anyone's permission to live a creative life.¨
Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear by Elizabeth Gilbert

I just started reading Elizabeth Gilbert's (of Eat, Pray, Love fame) new book on creativity and already I'm inspired. I've always felt like I'm not really creative - that I don't do anything new or innovative. But as a human, I am drawn to creative acts - knitting, writing/blogging, cooking - bringing something from nothing.

Another of her ideas that I am especially drawn to is the idea that artists are not genius, they possess genius or are visited by a spark. No one reaches perfection every time they put pen to paper or paint to canvas - but if you don't try, you'll never have the opportunity to showcase genius, should it decide to appear.

No comments: