Sunday, October 4, 2015

Ribs - Recipe #95

My father's first job was at the Chuckwagon BBQ on Aurora. He was at the Wallingford Boys Club (before they added ¨and Girls¨ to the name) when they came to post the job. While he was younger than the other teens, he got the job by being the only one there that day - apparently there was a field trip that everyone else had gone on. My dad loves to cook and in some ways I wonder if his work life would have been more fulfilling if he'd stayed in the restaurant business. Even now, I can see him opening up a little food truck called Papa's that serves up home-cookin'. He insists that he wouldn't want to obligated to cook every day, but if we opened up a food truck, he'd come by every once in a while with special treats. But I digress...

It was at the Chuckwagon that he learned this recipe for ribs, one of my childhood favorites. The recipe makes enough for a short-order crowd, so he advises dividing it by 10.

So after making a few recipes from Trent's family, it was time to move on to some of my own. I almost made this for a friend's birthday party ¨rib-off¨ back in April. However, since I had to work the day of, I was unable to find the time to do them right - which is a shame, because I think these may just have taken the top prize.

Tabasco sauce (a couple of shakes)
some garlic (powder or fresh)
10 lb. can tomato puree
10 lb can tomatoes
1/2 10 lb. can water
tomato scraps
large onion, diced
7 T. mustard powder
2 T. chili powder
4 T. pepper
4 T. fennel seed
3 c. Worcestershire sauce
3 c. soy sauce
1 1/2 c. vinegar
(salt if desired)
4-12 slabs of ribs

Bake at 350 degrees for 3 1/2 hours or until the bones pull out(I made it at the same time as my pickles so that I could limit my babysitting kitchen ingredients to just 1 day)

Traditionally served with garlic bread, corn on the cob and/or baked potatoes. Serve the leftover sauce on burgers for a delicious Chuckwagon barbecue burger.

No comments: