Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Cheese-Mushroom Fingers - Recipe 109

Another recipe from my mother-in-law. I've made this several times as an appetizer, but it had been languishing in my recipe for a while since the last time I made it. I had made a double (or was it a triple?) recipe for an event and there were leftovers upon leftovers to the point where I couldn't make myself get excited about eating any more. I came this close to recycling it, but I'm glad I didn't. While it still makes a great appetizer, its resemblance to quiche makes an even better breakfast heated up in the toaster oven or mid-morning snack. And I got wise this time and made just a half recipe in a 9x9 baking dish. My ¨green¨ peppers that I ordered from my CSA ended up purple (but no less delicious) and my cottage cheese from PCC ended up being all curds and no whey, which probably helped the texture.
Cheese-Mushroom Fingers
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 lg. onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 lg. green pepper
Saute mushrooms, onion and garlic in butter until soft. Add pepper and cook a minute more. Set aside.
  • 10 eggs
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp. dried basil
  • 2 cups small curd cottage cheese
  • 4 cups shredded Jack cheese
  • 3/4 tsp. nutmeg
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
Beat eggs. Then mix in the other ingredients until blended. Add the mushroom mixture.

Put into greased 10"x 15¨ jelly roll pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 min. or until firm.

Cool at least 15 min. before cutting into 3/4¨ x 2¨ fingers. Serve warm or at room temperature. Refrigerate up to 2 days. Freezes well.

No comments: