Thursday, November 13, 2014

Thursday Thought

"Anyone who isn't embarrassed of who they were last year probably isn't learning enough."
Alain de Botton, quoted in Austin Kleon's Show Your Work

Growing up, like most children, I was certain that when you reached a certain age, you would know everything there was to know. At the time, that was a comforting thought. Now it seems stifling. I'm so grateful to try new things - sometimes succeeding, sometimes failing. A year ago, I would never have guessed that I would have reinstated my blog and written sixty-ish postings.
What have you worked at learning this year?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been trying to be more academic in my approach to Teen Services. I'm pretty good at winging it, but lately I'm actually doing research on strategies and best practices. It feels good to have some real facts to back up my gut feelings.

bicycling librarian said...

I'm always surprised by how much better my work is if I do extra preparation or research, though we librarians are true masters of winging it.