Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Sugar-frosted Cardamom Braid - Recipe #32

Cardamom is one of my new favorite spices. A little more mysterious than cinnamon or nutmeg. Perfect for sweet or savory. Most mornings, I add a sprinkling of cardamom seeds to my loose Assam tea with a splash of milk for a quick and easy chai substitute. This Sugar-frosted Cardamom Braid (from the December 2004 issue of Cooking Light) was my first time baking with it as the star ingredient, but I knew I was in for a treat, as one of my friends makes this Finnish treat regularly. I was a little skeptical of the label "sugar-frosted", as it is merely a combination of turbinado sugar and an egg white/water wash.

Another recipe that I would both make again and recommend to others, though the dough is sticky enough that your hands end up a big flour-y mess. On the plus side, you get to test your skill with dough braiding. Perfect for a snack, coffee break or breakfast treat.

1 1/3 c. 2% milk
1/2 c. granulated sugar
2 T butter
2 T grated lemon rind
1/2 - 1 t ground cardamom
1/2 t salt
4-4 3/4 c all purpose flour, divided (I think I used a little more and the dough was still sticky)
1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 t)
1 large egg
cooking spray/oil
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
1 T water
1 T turbinado sugar

Combine first 6 ingredients in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Cook 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves and a thermometer reads 115 degrees, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.

Lightly spoon flour into measuring cups, level with a knife. Combine 2 1/2 c. flour and yeast in a large gowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add milk mixture and egg; beat with a heavy-duty stand mixer at low speed 30 seconds or just until blended. Increase mixer to medium speed; beat 2-3 minutes. Gradually add 2 c. flour; beat at low speed until mixture forms a ball.

Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 mint); add enough of remaining flour, 1 T at a time to prevent dough from sticking to hands. Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray (I used a little bit of oil), turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in warm place (85 degrees), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size (Press 2 fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough - I needed a little extra time). Punch dough down; cover and let rest 5 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Divide dough into 3 equal portions, shaping each into a 20-inch rope. Pinch ends together at one end to seal. Braid ropes on a lightly floured surface; pinch loose ends to seal. Place braid on a baking sheet covered with cooking spray (or I just use my Silpat). The braid should be about 15 inches long. Cover and let rise 30 minutes or until doubled in size.

Combine egg white and water; brush over top of loaf. Sprinkle turbinado over loaf. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes or until golden and loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from oven, cool on a wire rack.

No comments: