Saturday, November 29, 2014

Moroccan Chicken Tagine - Recipe #34

Wow - I've been holding on to this recipe since 1997 - it may have even been from the very first magazine that I received with my gift subscription. I'm glad I also held off a little on blogging about it, as my opinion changed last night when we reheated the leftovers. My original verdict - very flavorful veggies, but the chicken was bland and could have used both seasoning and browning in the pan (with skin) before being placed in the oven. Trent pronounced it "passable" or "decent" or some other bland adjective that does not scream out "keep this recipe for the future".

Last night I got home about a half an hour late after getting stuck on the wrong side of the train tracks, missing my normal bus home, followed by being told by the next bus driver that I couldn't bring my folding bike onto the bus ("he's whacko", said the next driver, who reported it to a supervisor when we reached the bus station). Anyway, any creative thoughts of turkey pot pies or shitake mushroom pizza were crushed. We watched Jeopardy and I popped these leftovers in the oven (I hate the texture of microwaved chicken). Three-quarters of an episode of MasterChef Junior later, we emerged from the basement to the delectable smell of spiced onions and chicken. Somehow after marinating in the leftover chickpea and onion mixture and baking for an additional 30 minutes the chicken had soaked up the flavor we craved. Saved from the recycle bin, which is good, because I've got a heck of a lot of Moroccan seasoning leftover.

  • 5 t. cumin seeds
  • 5 t. coriander seeds
  • 2 1/2 t. whole allspice
  • 5 t. ground nutmeg
  • 2 1/2 t. ground ginger
  • 1 1/4 t. ground red pepper
  • 1 1/4 t. ground cinnamon
  • 1 t. olive oil
  • 8 c. vertically sliced onion (about 2 lbs.)
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1 1/2 t. sugar
  • 1/2 t. black pepper
  • 1 (10 1/2 oz.) can low-salt chicken broth
  • 1/4 c. raisins (we omitted)
  • 4 chicken thighs (about 2 lbs.), skinned
  • 1 (15 1/2 oz.) can chickpeas, drained
  • 4 c. hot cooked couscous
Place first 3 ingredients in a spice or coffee grinder; process until finely ground. Combine next cumin mixture with next 4 ingredients; set aside.

Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and salt; cover and cook 10 minutes. Add 1 t. spice mixture, sugar and black pepper; cover and cook 15 minutes.

Heat oven to 375 degrees.

Add broth, and cook, uncovered, 30 minutes. Add raisins, chicken and chickpeas; cover and bake for 30 minutes. Serve with couscous.

No comments: