Thursday, November 6, 2014

Thursday Thought

"Everything has boundaries. The same holds true with thought. You shouldn't fear boundaries, but you also should not be afraid of destroying them. That's what is most important if you want to be free; respect for and exasperation with boundaries."
Haruki Murakami, Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage

I've been a fan of Murakami since I first read The Wind-up Bird Chronicle. I don't know if I've enjoyed any of his others quite as much. Yesterday, I finished reading his latest, the tale of Tsukuru Tazaki who tracks down four formerly close high school friends twenty years after they asked him to cease contacting them. His sense of loss and subsequent stunting of his emotional development felt real and I enjoyed following his journey.

The above quote struck me. I am a person who appreciates boundaries. I like making rules for myself (as you may have noticed with the recipe challenge), but I also have an enormous respect for friends and family who have trampled some of society's boundaries, especially in regards to money and possessions.

No comments: