Saturday, November 8, 2014

Old School Stroganoff

At my bridal shower, one of my favorite gifts was a recipe box, filled with recipes from friends and family. I have not been particularly good about actually making the recipes since then, but that's what the loose recipe challenge is all about.

This Beef Stroganoff recipe brings me back in time - when casseroles were concocted with a cream of mushroom (or chicken) base, ingredients that I probably haven't purchased in over a decade. But the recipe challenge demanded it, so off I went to PCC on the way home from a morning run. You cannot buy Campbell's red can cream of mushroom soup there, so I purchased some organic Pacific-brand instead (which felt a little out of keeping with the frugality of the original recipe).

This recipe came from Nancy (the mom in my macaroni story) and is great for an evening when you want to get dinner on the table in a flash:

  • Cook thin strips of beef in a little oil.
  • Add 1 pkg. dry onion soup mix (amazingly, we had some in our cabinet from something Trent or I made 7 or so years ago - I was super excited to find a use for this, since I don't think it will ever go bad)
  • One can cream of mushroom soup
  • One can of water, a little red wine and Worcestershire sauce
  • Simmer while you cook the noodles (wide egg - I had rotelli on hand from the pasta twists with beer cheese sauce, so used that instead)
  • At the last minute add 1 tub sour cream (another ingredient that was in the fridge, though I don't typically stock it) and drain noodles.

You will notice that there are no actual vegetables in the recipe, but I seem to have a requirement that each dinner recipe must contain at least 1/2 an onion, so I sauteed thinly sliced onion with the meat. If I had mushrooms, I would have added some of them as well.

What is your old school casserole of choice?

No comments: