Friday, November 28, 2014

Pumpkin Cake Roll - Recipe #33

Pumpkin season is still in full swing. I've been saving up a sugar pumpkin from my CSA for something special and pumpkin cake roll is definitely worthy of my little cutie gourd. This is another of the recipes that Trent's mom passed onto me, though it sounds as though it is not one of their family traditions (at least he didn't remember having it frequently if at all). This certainly would also go quite well with canned pumpkin and would take a bit less time.

I'm not sure that this will go into my regular autumn baking rotation, though I'll likely bake it again in the future. While the shape is a novelty, it is just a bit more complicated than a regular cake, pie or quick bread.
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 2/3 c. pumpkin
  • 1 t. lemon juice (I forgot about this until the cake was already in the oven - oh well)
Beat the eggs on high for 5 min. Gradually add the sugar, then stir in pumpkin and lemon juice.
  • 3/4 c. flour
  • 1 t. baking powder
  • 2 t. cinnamon
  • 1 t. ginger
  • 1/2 t. nutmeg
  • 1/2 t. salt
Stir together, then add to pumpkin mixture. Spread into a well greased and floured (or line with parchment paper) jelly roll pan (I used my beloved silpat, but probably would not in the future, as the textured surface makes it a little harder to remove from the cake). Top with 1 c. finely chopped walnuts. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 min. While still warm, turn out on towel sprinkled with powdered sugar. From the narrow end, roll towel and cake together. Cool and gently unroll to remove towel.

Filling:
  • 1 c. powdered sugar
  • 6 oz. cream cheese (I used Neufchatel because I'd been planning to use it with one of the Cooking Light recipes)
  • 4 T. margarine (I used butter, of course)
  • 1/2 t. vanilla
Beat until smooth. Spread filling on inside of loose cake roll, reroll and chill (I recommend that you do this in something other than the towel to keep it from drying out in the fridge). Freezes well.

No comments: