Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Embracing My Irish Heritage - Cabbage-and-Yukon Gold Potato Casserole - Recipe #27

Oh humble peasant food, how do I love thee? I adore potatoes in all their many forms - mashed, roasted, fried, baked (though that is probably my potato of last resort these days) and of course, gratins and casseroles. Add a little cabbage, and you've got a perfect autumn dish.

I'd been eyeing Cabbage-and-Yukon Gold Potato Casserole for a while - long enough to ensure that I'd have potatoes, garlic and cabbage on hand from my CSA and eggs from one of my coworker's chickens. On the way home from the QFC with the cheeses and milk, I stopped by my neighborhood Pea Patch, where one of my church friends told me I was welcome to pick her sage whenever needed.

This does take some time to prepare and bake, so it is not ideal for a weeknight. We had it as a main course, but I think it would pair nicely with a meat dish and salad. We have plenty leftover, so I predict that it will make a reappearance in my lunch.

Cabbage-and-Yukon Gold Potato Casserole (from Jan. 2000 Cooking Light)
3 c. sliced peeled Yukon Gold or baking potato (about 1 lb.)
8 c. (1-inch-thick) sliced green cabbage (about 1.5 lbs.)
1 T. butter
2 T. chopped fresh or 2 t. dried rubbed sage
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/3 c. 1% milk (I used 2%)
1/2 c. shredded mozzarella
1/4 c. grated fresh Parmesan cheese
2 large eggs
1 large egg white (I skipped this and just used two smaller and one larger egg)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place potato in large Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring potato to a boil and cook for 6 minutes or until tender. Remove potato with a slotted spoon reserving cooking liquid in pan. Set aside potato in large bowl. Add cabbage to the cooking liquid and cook for 5 minutes. Add the cabbage to potato.

Melt butter in small skillet over medium heat. Add sage and garlic. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir the chopped sage mixture, salt and pepper into potato mixture. Spoon potato mixture into a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish greased or coated with cooking spray.

Combine flour, milk, and remaining ingredients and stir with a whisk. Pour milk mixture over potato mixture. Do not stir. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes or until casserole is lightly browned. Makes 6 servings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if this would be good with Kale or spinach instead of cabbage. Do you think the flavors would be off?

bicycling librarian said...

I think either kale or spinach would be tasty, but I would skip cooking either in the reserved water, since both wilt more easily than cabbage.