Sunday, November 9, 2014

Saturday Snack & Supper (Recipe 19 & 20)

I have two delicious recipes to share from yesterday - Chocolate Cherry Stout Bread and Tandoori Oysters - though I suggest that you don't eat them at the same meal.

I've made the Chocolate Cherry Stout Bread a number of times and I never tire of the plump dried cherries and ooey-gooey chocolate contained within. This is not a recipe for those who crave instant gratification, as it calls for an 8 hour waiting period from the time the beer, flour and yeast meet, until they marry the other ingredients. I thought that Pumpkin Beer would make a good seasonal alternative, but I went to the beer aisle in my local grocery store the day after Halloween, and pumpkin choices were few and far between, so I substituted a Rogue Chocolate Stout for the Guinness. I also used turbinado sugar rather than pearl sugar to sprinkle on top. If you make this recipe, I suggest eating it fresh from the oven or toasting in the toaster oven for maximum yummy-ness.

On a completely different note, I also tried out a new dinner recipe Tandoori Oysters with shucked oysters from Hama Hama, one of the University District Farmer's Market vendors. I have never mastered the art of shucking oysters, perhaps because it is so much easier (for me) to convince Trent to do it. But even though I made a half recipe, I did not think that he would enjoy shucking 12 oysters, even on a clear fall day. I did substitute regular yogurt (from my CSA) for the non-fat, as I had it on hand. Served with red wine, naan from Trader Joe's (sadly, they were out of the frozen, which has a better texture than their fresh), pakora burgers (aka Trader Joe's Masala burgers) with chutney and basmati rice. When pressed, Trent said that it might have been the favorite of the eight loose recipes prepared last week - though it was a tough call.

Today, I host book club, so I have a new batch of captive eaters to feed!

No comments: