Sunday, November 16, 2014

Meatless Monday Idea - Recipe #24

While I don't participate in any organized effort to eat vegetarian meals on a particular day of the week, one of my goals for the year was to eat at least half of my dinners as vegetarian/pescatarian, which is not terribly difficult to do. It also ends up being much better for leftovers, as meat seems to go bad much faster than veggies do.  But I digress.

On Thursday night, I cooked my twenty-fourth recipe of the challenge: Chickpea and Turnip Stew with Ethiopian Spices. This is amazingly flavorful and delicious - another keeper for a chilly night. Surprisingly, I had all of the spices necessary for the berbere mixture on hand, though I had to use my coffee grinder for the cloves and allspice. If you decide to make this recipe, be careful with the turmeric, as I found myself scrubbing yellow-orange fingerprints from the microwave buttons and countertops.

I don't frequently eat turnips, but the spicy flavor really makes the dish, though you can substitute potatoes if you prefer. I served this with quinoa and naan, because I think everything goes better with naan, though injera would be the more traditional option.

To truly get into the spirit, start with a coffee ceremony with friends and finish the evening dancing a traditional shoulder dance, the way I did the next night at the Neighborhood House fundraiser.

No comments: