Wednesday, January 7, 2015

What I'm Reading Wednesday

Well, working Friday - Tuesday certainly wreaks havoc on cooking new recipes and blog posting. I've had a wonderful day off full of friends and family and I currently have 3(!) recipes in progress. But until I've actually eaten them, I don't feel as though they are proper blog fodder, so to tide you over, here is a glimpse of what I've been reading.

Our current read-aloud is Kon-Tiki by Thor Heyerdahl, a classic non-fiction adventure of crossing the Pacific by wooden raft to try to prove that the South Sea Islands were populated by South Americans. We're only a chapter into it, but it's quite readable.

I'm about two-thirds finished with My Real Children by Jo Walton, which opens with Patricia, who is ¨very confused¨ in a nursing home facing dementia. She's got two sets of memories - one where she has four children and another with only three. In one world, Kennedy has been assassinated, in another there is nuclear fall-out from the bombing that Cuba did of Florida when the Cuban Missile Crisis becomes much worse. I am completely enjoying reading her histories of herself of Pat and Tricia as she lives through the fifties and sixties.

I just re-read Raven Boys and Dream Thieves before reading the third in the Raven cycle by Maggie Stiefvater, Blue Lily, Lily Blue. The first time I read Raven Boys, I was so enchanted that I didn't want to return it to the library, so I knew I had to go out and buy it. I haven't had the same reaction to the other two, but still like candy to me.


No comments: