Thursday, January 8, 2015

Thursday Thought

¨Adults, however, do not give us permission to be our full selves. We subtly pressure each other not to deviate from the norm....The world never gives you permission to be brilliant. My advice? Do it anyway.¨
Your Perfect Presentation by Bill Hoogterp

Earlier this week, I got frustrated with all of the ¨New Year, new you¨ messages out there. Sure, it's fun to think about actions that might increase happiness, but I like the ¨old¨ or ¨current¨ me just fine. There are so many forces telling us that our true and authentic selves aren't good enough. I find that I like people who may be afraid but dare to be themselves anyway and that gives me permission to be myself as well - whether it is in a presentation for work or in my day to day life, singing on my bicycle, hula-hooping on a break or knitting outside on a winter morning. I don't know if that makes me ¨brilliant¨, but it does brighten my world just a bit.

No comments: