Monday, January 26, 2015

Enchilada Casserole variation - Recipe #63

Several recipes ago, I cooked a chicken enchilada recipe which began with boiling chicken breast. This casserole recipe started the same way and while it differed in other ways, what with the chicken marsala and the previous chicken enchilada recipe, it felt like it wouldn't be breaking the rules to fix one of the suggested variations, rather than the original recipe (though I'll post the recipe as given to me). This is another from my aunt that I had not made since receiving it. Since my aunt and uncle lived in Dallas for several years, I feel like they know Tex-Mex food, though I don't think this is terribly authentic. I realized that since I typically don't buy enchilada sauce, I didn't have a preferred brand, but I now know that Las Palmas is not it. Ultimately, we both enjoyed the casserole and will make it again sometime after my meat sabbatical.

Enchilada Casserole
  • Corn tortillas (medium size package - about 12)
  • Enchilada sauce, 2 cans (either the 28 oz. can sizes were too large or this is just way more sauce than I needed)
  • Colby-jack cheese or preferred
  • Chicken (cooked and shredded, may be lightly seasoned if desired or you can use pre-cooked chicken strips or chunks)
  • Sliced black olives (small can)
Start chicken boiling (spices may be added to the water if desired). Usually takes 30 minutes to an hour.
After chicken is finished, cool. Shred, removing all fat and bones. Start some oil in a frying pan (enough to coat the pan plus a little more, add as needed. I used a non-stick skillet, but I think that the texture would have been better if I hadnt). Prepare a plate with a few paper towels on it to absorb excess oil. With tongs, slowly dip tortilla into hot oil on both sides (tortilla should be pliable, not crispy). This takes a few seconds per tortilla. Place on plate to drain. When finished, open cans of enchilada sauce and place contents into clean frying pan. Warm sauce over medium heat. Dip each fried tortilla in the sauce on both sides, letting excess drip back into pan. Place on separate plate. Grate cheese. In casserole dish, layer tortillas, cheese, chicken and black olives. May refrigerate until ready to use. Heat in 350 degree oven until hot, and cheese is melted, 30-45 minutes.

Variations:
  • use Herdez green chile sauce instead of red sauce
  • use cheddar or Monterey jack cheese
  • use beef, cheese and onions (which I did) or other filling

No comments: