Monday, January 19, 2015

Lemon Squares - Recipe # 58

I knew that I wanted to bring a treat along for a lunch gathering with friends. I was waffling between Lemon Squares or an Orange Cardamom Cake, when my pantry made the decision for me. After preparing Mini Cranberry Panettones the previous day, I had 1 1/2 - 2 cups of flour left. The cake called for 3 cups, while the lemon bars only required 1. When I arrived at lunch, one of the other couples shared that lemon bars were their absolute favorite dessert (one that they sometimes decide to hoard, rather than share with others), so I didn't feel too bad about the choice.

This particular recipe is a classic and one that I received from my mother-in-law several years back. She often includes it in Christmas cookie deliveries. This year, each of us got to request one type of cookie from the Christmas Elf and this was the type that Trent chose (he was nice enough to share them with me).

The first time I made lemon bars (with a different recipe) they stuck in the pan, so I've been hesitant to repeat the experience. These came out like a dream and will definitely occur in the dessert rotation more often.

Lemon Squares
  • 1 c. four
  • 1/2 c. butter
  • 1/4 c. powdered sugar
Cream butter and sugar, then mix in flour. Press into 8¨ or 9¨ square pan. Bake for 20 min. at 350 degrees.
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 1/2 t. baking powder
  • 1/4 t. salt
  • 2 T. lemon juice
Beat for 3 min. until light and fluffy. Pour over a hot crust. Bake 25 minutes more. Sprinkle with powdered sugar when cool and cut into squares.

No comments: