Sunday, January 25, 2015

Sunday Supper - Chicken Marsala - Recipe # 62

A brand-new-to-me recipe! In college, I went to Italian restaurants far more often and one of my go-to dinner orders was Chicken Marsala. I've experimented with a couple of other recipes in the past, but nothing that's become a regular in the dinner rotation. This particular recipe is another of the ones from the Christmas of Recipes, from my aunt. While it was completely delicious, the bouillon cubes made it fairly salty, so next time I make it, I might skip the salt in the seasoning - or cut the bouillon in half. This was surprisingly easy to prepare. While it suggests serving it with long grain wild rice, we had it with mashed potatoes instead. Trent found it delicious, but also made the comment, ¨this is a lot more meat than we usually eat¨. Too true, and I am starting to miss my more-regular vegetarian/vegan meals. I've got ingredients for two more Recipe Challenge dinners and then I'll take a bit of a meat break (I've got plenty of side course, dessert or appetizer recipes to prepare in the meantime).

Chicken Marsala
  • 4 whole chicken breasts, boned and split
  • 1/2 c. butter
  • Seasoned flour (oregano, thyme, salt, pepper, marjoram)
  • 1/4 lb. mushrooms
  • 2 beef bouillon cubes
  • 1/2 c. boiling water
  • 2 oz. Marsala wine
  • 3 T. lemon juice
Melt butter; dredge chicken in flour and brown; add mushrooms; mix bouillon cubes and boiling water; add wine and lemon juice; pour over chicken and simmer uncovered 12-15 minutes until tender (I used a meat thermometer to tell me when it was done - it was pretty thick and took a bit longer than the recipe called for).

No comments: