Saturday, January 10, 2015

Meatless Monday (on Saturday) - Quinoa Corn Chowder - Recipe #55

I first tasted this chowder at book club. I no longer remember which book it was that we were(n't) discussing, but I still remember this offering from Colleen, a longtime friend and awesome cook. ¨The great thing about it, is that it calls for milk, but it doesn't matter if you have non-fat, 2% or whole milk - it all tastes great¨. I dashed off the super simple recipe to bring home and made it proudly. Sadly, Trent is not as much of a fan of corn chowder as I am (growing up, my favorite Chunky Soup was Chicken Corn Chowder, which I remember eating several cans of after having my wisdom teeth out or getting my braces tightened). So this recipe mostly languishes, either waiting for a day when I host book club or when we'll be eating separately. Thursday was that night - I had choir practice, so he went to see The Hobbit, part 3 at the Cinerama. I found the first three Lord of the Rings movies entirely too lengthy and had no desire to see the shortest book turned into three long movies.

I only had non-fat milk on hand this time around (I think I used 1% or 2% last time). If you make it, stick with the fuller-fat milks, as mine was a little watery. For the leftovers, I'm tempted to inaugurate my immersion blender (Christmas present from my Grandma). I think it will vastly improve the texture. If you had a little sausage or leftover chicken, either would be a tasty addition.

Quinoa Corn Chowder
  • 2 c. water
  • 1/4 c. quinoa
  • 1/2 c. (or more) cubed, peeled potato
  • 2 T. carrot, diced (I used more, while I think Colleen used less, as she's not a fan).
  • 1/4 c. onion, chopped
  • 1 1/2 c. corn (can be frozen)
  • 2 c. milk
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1/2 c. parsley
Simmer quinoa, carrot, potato and onion in water 15 minutes. Add corn, bring to a boil and simmer another 5 minutes. Add milk, bring back to boil. Simmer a little longer and season to taste. Garnish with parsley.

No comments: