Friday, January 9, 2015

Pork Roast (Recipe #54), White Rice & Sherry (#53) and Poppy Seed Dressing (#52)

While I was visiting my friend Aubrey yesterday, we talked about everyday happiness - the pleasure of lively conversation over a home-cooked meal after a neighborhood walk with some of your oldest friends. Of spending time with new babies or your parents. A kind of happiness that doesn't require fancy toys or money, but rather time, good friends and a positive attitude. I will say that my joy was also enhanced by the gift of an extra onion from Aubrey, as I realized that after spending quite some time in the grocery store, I neglected to buy an onion.

Yesterday's dinner of Pork Tenderloin, White Rice & Sherry and Spinach Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing boosted my everyday bliss - both in the preparation and the enjoyment of the meal itself. Trent's mom passed on the Pork Tenderloin recipe that she had received from her sister to me. The White Rice & Sherry came from one of my very first cookbooks, Classic Spanish Cooking with Chef Ef - while I said good-bye to the book itself, I kept this one recipe. The Poppy Seed Dressing recipe was obtained from a Southern Living at Home party that my sister hosted years ago in her apartment on Alki Beach. I bought a beautiful cruet, which I rarely use, and with it came three recipes. The pork was succulent, the rice flavorful and the dressing was a tad sweet - but I'll leave all the recipes for you to decide for yourself.

Pork Roast
  • 1/2 c. soy sauce
  • 1/2 c. dry sherry
  • 1/2 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 T. dry mustard
  • 1 t. ginger
  • 1 t. thyme, crushed
  • 4-5 lb. boned, rolled and tied pork loin or pork tenderloin (I used a 1 lb. pork tenderloin with the same amount of marinade, though Trent was wistful at the thought of additional leftovers)
Marinate roast 2 to 3 hours or overnight. Roast on rack in shallow pan, uncovered, at 325 degrees about 50 min. per lb. until done. Add sauce last 45 min. and baste occasionally.

White Rice and Sherry
  • 3 T. olive oil
  • 1 small onion, peeled
  • 3 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 3 1/2 c. chicken broth
  • 1/2 c. dry sherry
  • 2 c. uncooked rice
  • 2 pimientos, chopped (I used to substitute green pepper instead - this time, I chopped pimiento stuffed olives, as I couldn't find pimientos at PCC)
  • salt to taste
In a large casserole, heat the oil and saute the onion and garlic until the onion is wilted. Add the broth and wine and bring to a boil. Stir in the rice, pimiento and salt. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally until rice is semi-dry (I was not really sure what this instruction meant, so I ignored it - what does ¨semi-dry¨ mean?) Cover and simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes. Turn rice over with a fork from bottom to top and cook (covered) for about 10 minutes more. Serve with your favorite main dish.

Poppy Seed Dressing (From Southern Living Ultimate Cookbook)
  • 1/2 c. white vinegar or red wine vinegar
  • 1/3 c. sugar
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1 t. dry mustard
  • 1 t. grated onion
  • 1 c. vegetable oil
  • 1 T. poppy seeds
Process first 5 ingredients in a blender 20 seconds. With blender on high, gradually add oil in a slow, steady stream. Stir in poppy seeds. Pour over fresh spinach or fruit.

No comments: