Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Tunisian Potato Turnovers - Side Challenge #9

My favorite recipe out of the Moosewood Low-fat Favorites cookbook yet - but so frustrating, I may never make it again! I probably only have myself to blame. I forgot that I needed to thaw the filo ahead of time, so as I took it out of the freezer, I let it rest next to the burner as I boiled the potatoes for the rest of the recipe. The filo sheets were then difficult to pull apart and tried to flake away as I folded them in triangles that were supposed to resemble a folded flag (bringing back flashbacks from flag ceremonies at Girl Scout Day Camp at Camp Long), but without the desired crisp corners. I was pleased that I had decided to make only a half recipe, as any more filo filling and folding might have driven me to madness. I served these along with dal, rice and nan.

Tunisian Potato Turnovers
  • 2 c. peeled and cubed potatoes
  • 2 c. peeled and cubed sweet potatoes
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
  • 3 T. plain nonfat yogurt
  • 2 T. minced scallions
  • 1 t. ground caraway
  • 1 t. ground coriander
  • 1/8 to 1/4 t. cayenne
  • 1 to 2 T. fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 t. salt, or more to taste
  • 12 sheets filo pastry, each about 12 x 17 inches
  • 3 T. olive oil (I needed more for my layers, though perhaps you're more dexterous than I)
  • whole caraway seeds (optional)
Preheat oven to 400.

Cook potatoes, sweet potatoes and garlic in water to cover until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain the potatoes and thoroughly mash them by hand with the yogurt, scallions, caraway, coriander, cumin, cayenne, lemon juice, and salt until very smooth. Add more salt to taste.

Prepare a baking sheet with a light coating of oil or cooking spray or use one with nonstick coating. Set it aside near your work area.

Place the filling, filo, oil a pastry brush, and a clean damp towel on the counter within easy reach. Unfold the stack of filo and in one smooth motion, remove a sheet and place it flat on the counter top with one of the short sides nearest you. Brush it lightly with olive oil. Working quickly, add a second and then a third sheet, oiling each lightly. Cover the remaining stack of filo with the damp towel as you work to preent it from drying out and becoming brittle.

Cut lengthwise through the three oiled sheets to make four strips. Place 2 rounded tablespoons of filling on each strip, one near the bottom and one about a third of the way up. With a table knife or the back of a spoon, spread the filling to thinly cover the bottom half of each strip. Fold the lower left corner up and over diagonally so that the bottom edge is aligned with the right side. Fold straight up and then to the left. Continue to fold as you would a flag to make a small triangle pastry. Place each triangle on the baking sheet. 

Repeat 3 more times until all of the filo and filling has been used and you have 16 turnovers. Brush the tops with any remaining oil and sprinkle them with whole caraway seeds, if desired.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until puffed and golden. The turnovers should be served soon after removing them from the oven because the pastry loses its crispness as it sits.

No comments: