Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Chinese Noodle Salad - Recipe #87

I came so close to recycling this recipe when I looked over the ingredients and remembered that it calls for ramen noodles. And after deciding to keep it, I was sure that I would never be able to make it properly, as I couldn't find Napa cabbage at the grocery store. A quick internet search yielded that green or purple cabbages were not proper substitutes, but perhaps bok choy (another ingredient that I had hunted down with no luck - probably due to the season) would work. Finally, when walking down the produce aisle at my local QFC, I noticed Napa cabbage, so quickly snatched it up in case there actually is some sort of shortage.

My perseverance paid off. This will have to be a guilty pleasure, though I did cut the butter in half and prepared only 1/4 of the dressing, drastically cutting the calories and fat. I served this with pressed pork sandwiches (using leftover tenderloin) the first night and then as a side and then the main star of lunch the next two days.

This recipe is from my Aunt Rita, but it is labeled from her as being Aunt Joyce's (not sure if she is my aunt's aunt or if it is just a part of the name of the recipe).

Chinese Noodle Salad
  • 1 log head Napa Cabbage (Chinese) chopped fine
  • 5 diced green onions (tops also)
  • 2 pkg ramen noodles (discard flavor package) - broken into small pieces
  • 1/2 c. sesame seeds
  • 1 small package slivered or sliced almonds
  • 1/4 c. butter (original called for 1/2 c.)
chop cabbage and onions together the night before or same day. Needs to set to mix flavor... the longer the better.

Chill.

Brown crumbled noodles, sesame seeds and almonds in butter until brown. Drain on paper towels. Cool several hours. Keep at room temperature.

Salad dressing (original called for 4 times this amount)
  • 1/4 c. oil
  • 1/2 t. soy sauce
  • 1/4 c. sugar
  • 2 T. vinegar
Blend until sugar is dissolved and oil blends in. Mix together with other ingredients 20 minutes before serving.

No comments: