Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Saffron Scallion Couscous - Side Challenge #2

I tend to be a bit repetitive in what I eat. For breakfast 95% of the time I have either oatmeal with nuts, dried fruit, chia seeds, cinnamon and nutmeg or a breakfast sandwich (usually avocado with cilantro and sriracha). For lunch nowadays I have leftovers, but in my first few years in the world of full-time employment, couscous was my go-to favorite. Because it only takes 5 minutes from boiling to fluffy grains it requires very little advance planning. Most often, I'd add some frozen shrimp and peas or corn, salt, pepper and maybe a little pecorino. Trent however, was not sold on the few occasions I introduced it to him, declaring it bland. So when I saw this recipe (in Food to Live By), looking anything but bland, I was curious if this preparation would be any different. It was, getting a seal of approval. Served with pan-seared salmon and kale salad, this will go on my rotation of sides.
Saffron Scallion Couscous
  • 1 c. couscous
  • 2 T. extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 c. low-sodium chicken broth or water
  • 1/2 t. saffron threads, lightly crushed
  • coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 7 green onions, including white and 3 inches of green, trimmed and thinly sliced on an angle (about 1 c.)
Place couscous in a medium-size shallow heatproof bowl or casserole and drizzle the olive oil over it. Rub the couscous between your palms until all of the grains are coated with oil (about 2 minutes)

Heat stock in a small saucepan over high heat until it just begins to boil. Remove from the heat and add the saffron, stirring to blend.

Add half of the stock to the couscous. Keep the remaining stock warm over low heat. Stir and fluff the couscous with a fork. Cover the bowl with a plate or plastic wrap and let it sit for 5 minutes.

Add the remaining stock to the couscous. Using a rubber spatula, scrape up any saffron that may be stuck to the saucepan and add to the couscous. Fluff with a fork and re-cover the bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes longer.

Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir in green onions just before serving.

No comments: