Thursday, April 9, 2015

Thursday Thought

A formula for the good life:
¨Living in the Place you belong, with the people you Love, doing the Right Work, on Purpose¨

from Repacking Your Bags by Richard J. Leider and David A. Shapiro as quoted by John Maxwell in The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth

Today was supposed to be a day off. I am filling in for another librarian on Saturday and need to be at work for Friday coverage as well, so today was to be one of my weekend days. An important three-hour meeting came up for the day and was just easier to head in for a short time than find a day off earlier in the week. While I started out feeling sorry for myself, this has actually been the kind of day where I feel as though I am living the ¨good life¨.

I started out the day running around Green Lake in the beautiful sunshine with one of my good friends, following up with coffee. Bused in to the library, since I didn't leave myself quite enough time to ride there. Had a good meeting, where we talked philosophically about the future of libraries (which makes me feel that I am doing ¨the Right Work, on Purpose¨). Then I ventured home on my little bike, taking a different route home than usual (the Burke-Gilman Trail instead of the Interurban). Ravenously hungry, I stopped at Matthews Beach Park to devour my oranges and sit on a bench watching ducks chase each other, adults pull children away from the water after reading about the toxic algae, and jet-skiers zoom by. Seattle in the spring and summer is the place I belong.

No comments: