Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Modie's Icebox Cookies - Recipe #88

What do you bring to a rib contest/birthday party when you've got no time to make ribs, but you don't want to come empty-handed? A dessert from the Recipe Challenge, of course - though in this case there was so much food that many of these cookies went home untouched (well, uneaten - I can't guarantee untouched since there were a number of small children at the party). However, I brought some to work the next day and left some for Trent. When I went to take my afternoon break, I thought perhaps I'd have a cookie, but they had all disappeared. Only two remained when I returned home, but that is perhaps for the best...

Modie's Icebox Cookies
  • 1 c. brown sugar, packed
  • 1 c. shortening or butter
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3 1/2 c. flour
  • 1 c. chopped pecans
  • 1 t. soda
  • 1 t. baking powder
  • 1 1/2 t. vanilla
  • dash salt
Cream sugar and shortening. Add eggs and beat well. Mix in dry ingredients, then nuts. Form into rolls about 2¨ in diameter. Wrap in wax paper or plastic wrap and chill. Can be frozen at this stage. Slice and bake at 325 degrees for 8 minutes or until lightly brown.

This recipe was a favorite of Modie, Trent's great-grandmother.

No comments: