Thursday, February 19, 2015

Thursday Thought

¨We have all the time there is. The problem is: How shall we make the best use of it? There are three ways in which I have been able to solve that problem: first, by achieving an inner calm so that I can work undisturbed by what goes on around me; second, by concentrating on the thing at hand; third, by arranging a routine pattern for my days that allots certain activities to certain hours, planning in advance for everything that must be done, but at the same time remaining flexible enough to allow for the unexpected. There is a fourth point which, perhaps, plays a considerable part in the use of my time. I try to maintain a general pattern of good health so that I have the best use of my energy when I need it.¨
Eleanor Roosevelt, You Learn by Living

I have read numerous books on time management, mindfulness, habits and flow. All of them can be distilled into this one thought of Eleanor Roosevelt's. What a role model!

One of the observations that has been written in a number of annual performance reviews by various supervisors is that I project an air of calm, which extends to those around me. That said, I don't always feel calm, with my mind racing on to the next thought. But I always feel happiest when I calm down and concentrate on the thing at hand.

No comments: