Sunday, February 15, 2015

Birthday Brownies - Recipe #71

In my family, cake does not have most favored dessert status. For our wedding, Trent and I opted for a variety of cheesecakes (¨no one really likes wedding cake anyway¨). When my brother got married a year and a half ago, he and his bride served pies from Little Ladybug Bakery, owned by one of their best friends. (They were A-M-A-Z-I-N-G and if you go down to Oakland, you should definitely check out Rozlyn's baked goods at the Farmer's Market. But I digress...) So it should have come as no surprise that when I posed the question to my father, ¨would you like me to make a cake or brownies or???¨ for his birthday, he chose brownies.

While normally, I would have baked my fudgy-cocoa brownies, I couldn't repeat them so soon after making them for a staff meeting - especially since I had another delicious option that would count for the Recipe Challenge. This is just as delicious, but requires the step of melting the chocolate, which I am usually too lazy to do. Apparently, I am my father's daughter, as when I was looking through his cupboard and saw some old-ish baking chocolate, he admitted that he usually uses cocoa in baking because he doesn't like to melt chocolate.

I halved this recipe and baked it in a 9¨ x 9¨ pan. And in case you're wondering how to halve an egg, I just use 2 instead of 1.5. I chose the chocolate chip option for topping, mainly because my last brownies used up the remainder of my walnuts.

Brownies (from An Everlasting Meal)

  • 4 oz. unsweetened chocolate
  • 1 c. butter
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 c. sugar
  • 1 c. flour
  • 2 t. vanilla
  • chocolate chips or walnuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 13¨ x 9¨ pan. Melt chocolate and butter in mixing bowl over small pot of boiling water. Let cool 5 minutes. Beat in 1 egg at a time. Add sugar and vanilla and beat until combined, then add flour. Spread in pan and top with chocolate chips or walnuts. Check after 20 minutes (though it will likely take more like 25-30 minutes)

No comments: