Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Fudgy Cocoa Brownies - Recipe #70

Brownies - the perfect treat to eat plain or with ice cream and caramel sauce for a sundae. While I've been spending my dessert energies on making new Recipe Challenge desserts, this is my go-to, favorite recipe, found on the back of the box of the Saco cocoa. I almost don't need to keep it because 1) it is on the back of the cylinder of cocoa and 2) I've memorized it after making it so many times. But memories fade, and sometimes companies change things up on you and I CANNOT lose this recipe.

We still have Beet Cake leftover, but I had my first staff meeting at my new branch, so I made a treat that Trent had eaten often enough that he wouldn't mind (too much) if he didn't get any. There was just one tiny corner piece left at the end of the day, which he gladly ate when I got home. Lots of people asked for the recipe and unless I take it to a friend who prefers their desserts on the less-sweet side, this is always a hit. Keep in mind that Saco Cocoa is a blend of Dutch-processed and natural cocoa, so if you substituted either one, you might need to add baking soda or powder for leavening.

  • 1/2 c. (1 stick) butter
  • 1/2 c. cocoa
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 t. salt
  • 1/2 c. chopped nuts (opt. - I love making this with walnuts!)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8x8x2 inch pan. In a medium saucepan melt butter. Remove melted butter from heat, add cocoa and stir until well-blended. Add sugar and mix well. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat well. Stir in vanilla, salt and flour. DO NOT OVERBEAT. Fold in nuts. Spread in prepared pan and bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

No comments: