Friday, February 27, 2015

Heath Bar Frosting - Recipe #79

Yesterday was Trent's birthday. I ended up working the late shift at the library, but we did have a wonderful breakfast together of waffles with frou-frou maple syrup made in Woodinville in whiskey barrels, complete with a batch and bottle number. I also had time to prepare pot-roast tacos in the slow cooker and bake an ¨All-purpose Chocolate Cake¨ from my America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook. The frosting had to wait until my return at 9:30 last night.

Heath Bar Frosting is the favorite of Jack, Trent's grandfather who recently passed away, so it felt a little as though we were honoring him when eating it. Very tasty, but I don't think I mastered the consistency - it seemed thick enough on the stove, but very runny once I finished mixing the ingredients and frosting the cake.

  • 1 c. milk
  • 3 T. sugar
  • 5 T. flour
Cook until thick, stirring constantly.
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1/4 lb. butter
Cream together until light and fluffy. Add cooked mixture and beat together.

Frost cake, then pat on 3 small chopped Heath bars (I had some left-over from cookies made earlier in the challenge).

I resisted the urge to have cake for breakfast this morning, but who knows what will happen on Saturday?

No comments: