Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Pollo in Fricassea - Recipe #73

Several years ago, my aunt and uncle went to Italy, discovered a number of new wines, took a cooking class and came back filled with enthusiasm. Pollo in Fricassea hales from this trip - the accompanying note reads ¨April 2007 Tuscany - Recipe from Tutti A Tavola in Ciona¨. A year later, my sister and mom planned a trip of a lifetime to Italy. I was in the midst of a temporary job and couldn't get away. They came back noticeably closer, laughing with photos and stories of drinking wine and eating gelato in rustic cafes, while I was left with regret.

Since then, I have been promoted at work, due, in no small part, to that temporary job. I still have never found the right occasion to visit Italy, though I will go someday. But until I do, I can get just a taste of it through this recipe.

Pollo in Fricassesa
  • 20 pieces skinless chicken (dark meat - chicken breast is too dry - can also be made with lamb or rabbit)
  • 1 lemon juiced
  • 8.8 oz. or 1 c. cream (250 g.)
  • 1 glass of white wine
  • 2 egg yolks
  • butter
  • olive oil
  • milk q.b. (whatever is best)
  • salt & pepper
  • 1/2 glass of Marsala wine
Saute chicken in mixture of 1/2 butter and 1/2 olive oil until lightly brown. Deglaze with a glass of white wine. When wine has evaporated, add the cream and cook until tender. When the sauce tends to thicken, add a little milk. After about 30 minutes, the meat is ready. Put aside and add 2 egg yolks to the sauce and the juice of one lemon. Mix well. Before serving, add the 1/2 glass of Marsala wine & pour the sauce on the meat.

We both enjoyed this recipe. However, I had tasted the sauce earlier in the cooking process and preferred it before the addition of the lemon juice, egg yolks and Marsala. You may want to experiment to see what's right for you.

No comments: