Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Family Recipes - Cinnamon Flop - Recipe #36

When Trent and I first started spending Thanksgivings and Christmases together, I asked if there were any family traditions that he would miss by spending the holiday with my family. He mentioned cinnamon flop, a simple recipe handed down from generations, so I have taken over making this when we are far from his family. This Thanksgiving was my family's turn to spend the holiday with us, so I made sure to have the ingredients for Cinnamon Flop on hand. I first got the recipe from Trent's aunt on an extended-family trip to Myrtle Beach. It's written on a post it found in the time-share with the phrase "Don't let anybody kid you, It's the gift that counts!". I've fixed this for book club getaways, as well as my sister and brother-in-law. It is best served with bacon, eggs, and a fruit salad.

  • 1 c. sugar
  • 2 c. flour
  • 2 t. baking powder
  • 3 T melted butter
  • 1 c. milk
  • brown sugar and cinnamon

Combine all ingredients except brown sugar and cinnamon. Put in a greased baking pan (mine is about 9x13). Sprinkle a top with cinnamon and brown sugar. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or until done (mine always takes 5-8 minutes longer).

Trent's mom has made this vegan and gluten-free, but I think the traditional version really is best.

No comments: