Sunday, December 14, 2014

Chicken Enchiladas and Yummy Beans (Recipes #44 & #45)

I'm slowing down a bit with the Recipe Challenge - in part because I have so many leftovers to eat and not much freezer space. For example, I have eaten this dinner 3 times so far and have enough for one more lunch portion of enchiladas and a few more servings of beans. It certainly makes meeting nights and choir night easier.

This chicken enchilada recipe is from Aubrey, one of my lifelong friends, given to me at my bridal shower. I wrote down that the bean recipe came from Joy the Baker, but I can't find it anywhere online - maybe it's from her cookbook?

Chicken Enchiladas
  • 12 flour tortillas (6-8" in diameter - I only used 9)
  • 4 chicken breasts (I used two ginormous ones instead)
  • 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese
  • 1 tsp. dried minced onion (I substituted a small chopped onion instead)
  • 1 (20 oz.) can enchilada sauce
  • 1 (8 oz.) package grated Jack cheese (I used pepper jack)
Cook chicken breasts in boiling water for about 15 minutes or until no longer pink inside. Spread 4-6b oz. of enchilada sauce onto bottom of 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Preheat oven to 375. Shred chicken with a fork. Mix in cream cheese and onion. Spoon mixture into tortillas, roll them, and place side by side into dish. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over top, cover with foil and bake 20 minutes. Then uncover, sprinkle with cheese and bake additional 10-15 minutes. Enjoy!

My modifications: I added chopped mushrooms to the filling, since I had some that I needed to use up and I didn't have a veggie dish planned with the enchiladas. Plus, we both love mushrooms. I added a couple of spoonfuls of adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers to the enchilada sauce for a smoky flavor. I added chopped green onions and cilantro on top when I sprinkled the cheese.

Yummy Beans

Soak overnight. Drain. Cover with 2" water. Add parsley stems, bay leaf, salt, pepper & chili or olive oil (really yummy with the chili oil, but I didn't have any on hand). Simmer & cook until tender. I'm fairly certain you could do this with any type of dried beans, but I used black beans. Yes, this is not very different from the directions on the back of the bag, but I do like the addition of the herbs and oil.

No comments: