Saturday, December 6, 2014

Curried Split Pea Soup (in the Slow Cooker) - Recipe #38

This time of year I bring out the slow cooker almost weekly. On choir nights, I have 20-30 minutes between when I arrive home and when I need to head out the door again (we used to start 15 minutes earlier, so time was even tighter). Since I don't get home again until 9 or 9:30, it is imperative that I have something quick and easy - or even better, something already hot and ready to go.

Curried Split Pea Soup (originally from The Best Slow Cooker Cookbook Ever)
  • 16 oz dried green split peas
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 6 c. boiling water
  • 2 1/2 T curry powder
  • 6 carrots, peeled and chopped (this time around, my carrots were jumbo-size, so I used 3 - I probably could have cut back further to 2)
  • 2 celery ribs, chopped (my celery ribs were skinny, so I used 4)
  • 1/4 t. seasoned salt (I have Johnny's on hand to feed my love of popcorn)
  • 1/4 t. pepper
  • 1 c. chopped Canadian bacon (opt.)
Mix ingredients (except 1/2 T. curry powder) in slow cooker.
Cover and cook on low 9-10 hours. Stir in remaining 1/2 T. curry. Add more seasoned salt & pepper to taste.

Easy-peasy!

I don't have many slow cooker recipes in my rotation, but this is one of the best. 

No comments: