Thursday, May 21, 2015

Thursday Thought

Gretchen Rubin

Habana haba hujaza kibaba
mutilated Swahili phrase meaning something like ¨little by little fills the drum¨

I'm constantly amazed by both how fast and how slow life is passing. One single day can seem endless (in either a languid, relaxed ¨no worries¨ kind of day or a ¨will this day ever end¨ kind of way), but I have no idea how it is that it's already the end of May and that I've been in my new job for five months.

It's also exciting how little things add up. Gretchen Rubin also talks about the paradox of one coin, which the Swahili phrase reminds me of. If we build a foundation, just a little bit at a time, we'll be amazed by what we accomplish. I'm hoping this is true with language learning. My trip to Tanzania is in two months. While we fully expect that most of the people we meet will speak English well, I would like to learn a few Swahili phrases. So I've started using Mango Languages through the library. I'm just about to start the fourth lesson and am learning such useful phrases as ¨Jina langu ni Kristin¨ (bet you can guess what that means). At this point, I'm still pretty terrible, but I'm hoping that little by little the drum that is my brain will be filled with knowledge.

No comments: