Thursday, May 14, 2015

Thursday Thought

¨It is an important part of one's personal choices to decide to widen the circle of one's acquaintances whenever one can.¨
You Learn by Living by Eleanor Roosevelt

When I first sat down to blog about this quote, my thoughts turned to the importance of friendship - somewhat along the lines of ¨make new friends, but keep the old¨ and avoiding the Seattle ¨freeze¨. But as I turned things over in my brain a little more, I started to think of the power of acquaintances - of weak ties and ¨who are the people in your neighborhood

One of the reasons I moved from a wonderful job in library administration back to a branch library is because I believe in strengthening community ties. I enjoy getting to know the little quirks of our library patrons/customers that I may never be actual friends with. They enrich my life (certainly Trent agrees that my work stories have gotten more interesting again) and I hope that I do the same for them as well.

No comments: