Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Seared Tuna with a Fennel-Coriander - Side Challenge #11

Initially I chose shrimp cakes with lemon-caper aioli to be my final side challenge recipe from Food to Live By. However, as my self-imposed April 30th loomed large and I looked at the directions again to determine that I would need to chill everything overnight, I shifted gears to something quick and easy and new to me. While I frequently eat tuna at sushi restaurants or from a can, I rarely purchase it myself. However, the speed of the recipe couldn't be beat and it looked fab-u-lous, so off to PCC I went to purchase some albacore. I halved the recipe, as it serves 4 and tuna is not the most frugal choice. However, it was the perfect end to a sunshiny day...

Seared Tuna with a Fennel-Coriander Crust
  • 1/4 c. fennel seeds
  • 3 T. coriander seeds
  • 2 T. whole white or black peppercorns
  • Coarse (kosher) salt
  • 4 tuna steaks (about 3/4 inch thick and 6 ounces)
  • 2 T. olive oil
Place the spices in a spice mill or clean coffee grinder and grind it to a fine powder. Spread the spice mixture on a plate.

Sprinkle salt on both sides of the tuna steaks. Dip each tuna steak in the spice mixture, lightly coating it all over.

Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tuna and cook, turning once, until cooked to taste, about 2 minutes per side for medium-rare. Serve warm.

No comments: