Friday, May 1, 2015

Thursday Thought (on Friday)

¨Outer order contributes to inner calm.¨

One of my good friends has discovered the Kon-Mari method from The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo. Starting with her clothing and textiles, she is going through every item methodically, asking ¨does this spark joy?¨ and saying thank you and good bye if it does not. I read the book a few months ago, but did not go through the exercises myself. Listening to her joy and enthusiasm bubble through as she describes how much she enjoys her wardrobe now that it contains only the things that she absolutely loves has inspired me to go through my closet and books once again to curate my collection and then display it in a pleasing manner (going so far as to organize my sock and underwear drawers, which thrill me each time I look at them).

I firmly believe that outer order does contribute to inner calm. In fact, I find that when life seems the most chaotic, I gravitate towards simplifying and time management blogs. A sink empty of dishes lightens my heart, as does my newly organized basket of knitted shrugs and scarves.

No comments: