Sunday, October 26, 2014

Recipes Galore

Recipe #8 from the Loose Recipe Challenge (Chai Brownies): now baking in the oven in anticipation of book club. Another recipe that I clipped back in 2007 and kept without once giving it a test drive. If the batter is any indication (I am an unreformed bowl-licker in spite of any scare tactics regarding salmonella and raw eggs), it will be spicy, gooey goodness.

I love this challenge so far. Since last week's post, I did indeed bake Bierocks, dumplings filled with ground turkey, cabbage and onions. I've been using the dough function on my bread machine lately, so the hand kneading was both fun and sticky (though I resisted the temptation to add more flour). The results are below.

I can tell that if I want to continue adding photos I'll have to come up with a better solution. My camera battery can't seem to hold a charge and the Chromebook, which took these two, requires that I arrange myself and the food for the webcam to get a good shot. Notice that I am wearing my poncho from "Embrace Fall".

Lots of leftovers, perfect for lunches at work. They can be eaten heated or room temperature. The Paris Mushroom Soup was similarly delicious, as well as surprisingly simple.

Other recipes tested since last Sunday:
#5 Garlic Honey Vinaigrette - my friend Phil's house dressing - mix 1 t. honey with one minced garlic clove. Whisk in 1 T. olive oil and 1 T. apple cider vinegar. I serve this over spinach salad with dried cranberries or cherries and sliced almonds.

#3b Gruyere and potato gratin - This shouldn't count in the challenge, since I got the recipe after it began, BUT the only reason I made it was it used up the creme fraiche from the mushroom soup recipe. A perfect recipe for cold and rainy nights. We ate the leftovers for lunch today with andouille.

1 clove garlic, peeled and cut in half
3 T. unsalted butter
1 large slice of onion (I used the heel of an onion)
Salt
White Pepper
2.5 lb. peeled and thinly sliced potatoes
5 oz. creme fraiche
1.5 c. grated Gruyere cheese

Rub the side of a 2 quart gratin or casserole dish with the cut side of the garlic cloves and enough butter to grease the sides and bottom. Blanch the potatoes with the onion and salt for 5 minutes. Drain and discard the onion. Spread half of the potatoes in the gratin dish. Salt and pepper to taste (okay, to me this step was a little weird, since it is hard to figure out "to taste" when the potatoes are only part-way cooked). Top with half of the creme fraiche and half of the cheese. Place the remaining potatoes on top, then cover with remaining cheese and creme fraiche. Dot with the remaining butter. Bake at 425 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until the top is browned. Serves 6 (supposedly, though I think that is as a side instead of main course).

6) Orange bubble bread, another Cooking Light recipe. Back to using the bread machine for dough. The extra sugar seemed to make the dough come alive like the Blob. I don't own a tube pan, so I just used a baking pan and arranged them like cinnamon rolls. The recipe makes 24 and I was certain that I'd need to invite friends over. However, they seem to be disappearing on their own.

7) Pancit - 13 years, that's how long I've had this recipe without cooking it. When we moved to our last house, I had an enormous box of Cooking Light magazines, which I went through (in anticipation of our move to our current house) and lovingly clipped out every recipe that I might some day want to make. These fit in two overstuffed manila envelopes, which over the last three years I have culled to the best of the best potential recipes. Last night, after coming home from a showing of the silent film, The Phantom of the Opera, accompanied by an accomplished organist, I started this recipe and had it on the table 25 minutes later. Trent and I both approved, though I'd probably double the recipe next time and have bigger servings, as well as leftovers for the work week.

Last night I jettisoned two recipes: a granola recipe from the work health newsletter (very similar to a recipe that I already make) and Pesto at It's (sic) Besto from the Seattle Tilth Newsletter - how many pesto recipes can one woman keep?

Have you made any recipes lately from your collection?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I favorited the Pancit and Orange Bubble Bread to try myself. They sound wonderful.

I've decided that the next time I have a few hours, I'm going to make baguette. It goes with my bread theme. Maybe I'll make your Orange Bubble Bread at the same time to distract the kids :)

Rosemary said...

I can already tell that your loose recipes are going to sprout more loose recipes in my house (and I probably have enough to last my lifetime already)!! After posting this comment, I am heading to the kitchen to make Pancit, which sounds delicious.

I have found that my blog archives have become one of my handiest cookbooks. Since I post most of my yummiest recipes online, I find I can easily search in the Search box and retrieve the recipe right before I make it again. No need for loose papers. Slowly, I have built a nice online collection of favorites.