Sunday, October 12, 2014

Everyday Fulfillment

Earlier this year, I encouraged a friend to start writing in her blog again. After restarting this blog, I've been on a mini-mission to convince friends and family to either start or revitalize their blogs, because it adds to the quality of my life (and obviously, what's true for me must be true for everyone else).

She replied that she had nothing interesting to write about - that all she does is work and go home to eat, sleep and watch Netflix. Now that is patently untrue, as she also goes on fabulous weekend adventures to explore beaches, restaurants and local events. However, it got me thinking about how I am interested in learning about everyday lives and routines - both what people actually do at work and how they add quality and meaning to their personal lives both because of and in spite of full-time work. Whether you have a fulfilling job or not, how do you make it so that it is only a part of who you are? What can you do at work to add a sense of playful light-heartedness? Is it healthy to compartmentalize - where week days are for working and weekends are for playing?

I complain about the length of my commute and yet, it gives me time and energy to spend on some of my hobbies. On a given week, you'll find me alternating between reading, writing (on non-bumpy portions) or knitting on the bus before I finish off my journey bicycling. During my most re-energizing work breaks, I hula hoop with co-workers or do a 10-15 minute meditation on Calm.com (though I find it hard to relax when someone could sneak up behind me at any moment). Every Thursday evening, I spend two hours at choir rehearsal to feed my soul.

What do you most love about your job? What do you do to bring some of the weekend into the week? What interests or passions are you able to pursue in the midst of working and commuting each day?

No comments: