Monday, June 29, 2015

Jerk Seasoning Two Ways - Recipe #92



Several years ago, my friend Kim made a New Year's Resolution to make a new recipe each month. This is particularly a big deal because her husband Phil loves to cook so he is the primary meal-maker in the house. I believe this is one of the recipes from those days (based on the handwriting, which I believe is hers, as well as my recollection that jerk chicken was one of her ¨challenge¨ recipes).

As the temperature remains high for native Seattleites like myself, I continue to seek out stove-top recipes. This fit the bill perfectly with enough seasoning to still have some leftover after using it both with chicken, served with black beans, and tofu and vegetables over rice. Both were delicious. While Trent had a slight preference for the chicken (as in general he likes it better than tofu), he was a fan of the addition of my CSA vegetables: carrots, onions and mushrooms.


Jerk chicken

Jerk Seasoning
  • 2 T dried minced onion
  • 2 1/2 t thyme
  • 1/2 t cinnamon
  • 2 t allspice
  • 2 t ground black pepper
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/2 t cayenne pepper
Mix spices and herbs. Put olive oil on meat. Coat with mixture.

Jerk tofu with vegetables





No comments: