Friday, June 26, 2015

Hot Fun in the Summertime

With all of the sun we've had lately in Seattle, it's hard to believe that summer only started last week. On Saturday, we hopped on our folding bikes and cruised down Stone Way to the Fremont Solstice Fair. Every year there seem to be more naked bicyclists and fewer floats.

While I did take pictures of the parade, I did not take any photos of the naked or scantily clad superheroes, santas, fairies or Care Bears - I figure that if I am not willing to go out there and do it myself, it doesn't really seem fair to document someone else's experience. But it is quite the experience. Next year, we'll probably watch the parade from the other side of the street, since many of the participants rode one way only.

There ended up being a 30-45 minute break between the bicycles and the official parade, leading to a mass exodus, which allowed us standing space in the shade under a tree, rather than the beating sun. Of course, since I've got a new camera, I had to take a few test shots - I will spare you all the full run. Funny how with just 10 minutes at the camera, I started viewing the screen instead of the live action, so it wasn't too much of a tragedy when the battery depleted.
I'll have to work on my hula hooping technique so that I can participate next year


At the end of the parade, we unlocked the Bromptons and headed back up the hill. We caught up to another bicyclist and passed him. When he caught up to us at the light, he called out ¨passed - by someone with heels and a folding bike. Oh the shame!¨

¨There's no shame,¨ I replied (though I have to admit that I had gloated a bit calling out ¨on your left¨).

¨Well, a little bit of shame.¨ And then the light changed.

Sunday was Father's Day, so I went home to West Seattle to visit my parents. My mom had been feeling a little under the weather, so we ended up bringing lunch to their house (sub sandwiches for them, QFC sushi for me).

Trent and I enjoy taking the boat out on the longest day of the year - and this time we had company. Our friends on S/V Raven left for Hidden Cove on Bainbridge Island a bit before we did. We intercepted them (only by motoring) and then let them surge ahead as we did some slow lazy sailing. So peaceful in the cove...

We rafted to Raven and then had a delicious dinner onboard. Trent tried stand-up paddle-boarding, while I stayed behind, skipping the shore party to visit with my friend.


The sunset was indescribably lovely. All in all, a wonderful way to start the summer. Now if I can just stay cool in this darned heat...

No comments: