Thursday, March 19, 2015

Thursday Thought

Basketball Rule #3
Never let anyone
lower your goals.
Others' expectations 
of you are determined
by their limitations
of life.
The sky is your limit, sons.
Always shoot
for the sun
and you will shine.

The Crossover by Kwame Alexander

I just finished this year's Newbery Medal-winning book, a novel in free verse focusing on twin seventh-grade basketball phenoms and their dad, a former star. A fast read and quite enjoyable, though parts of it hit a little too close to home (no spoilers here though).

Growing up, I had plenty of faith in my academic abilities, but let money worries keep me from dreaming big dreams of fancy colleges and trips (less to avoid my own disappointment and more to protect my parents). It's taken a while to get past a scarcity mentality, but now I enjoy dreaming big at work and more in my personal life as well. After all, if you don't ask, the answer is always ¨no¨. I'm trying to turn the ¨why can't we?¨ question into ¨how can we make this work?¨

No comments: