Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Mediterranean-style Beef Stew - Recipe #85

I originally planned to make this recipe a month or so ago, until I came to the mystery ingredient ¨salt pork¨. I'm certain that this is one of the dry goods mentioned in the Little House books, but it is not something that I could find at my friendly neighborhood grocery store. The woman at DeLaurenti was similarly stumped, but she sent me to Don and Joe's Meats (also in the Market) saying that even if they didn't have it, they would know where to find it. I peered at every stick of salami and sausage before giving in and actually asking at the counter.

¨How much do you need?¨
¨2 ounces.¨
¨I can't give you that little.¨
¨Well, what size can I get?¨

He walks over to the freezer and pulls out a half pound or so. Relieved that it is not a 10 pound portion, I eagerly take it.

¨This seems to be a bit hard to come by,¨ I venture.
¨It's really more from your parents' generation. It's fallen out of favor,¨ he explains - which makes sense, since this is another of my aunt's recipes.

After all of the trouble I went to to get the salt pork, I was disappointed to read the recipe and discover that you merely use the meat for its fat and then completely discard it. Maybe next time I'll just use bacon grease (and eat the bacon). All complaining aside, this was delicious - one of Trent's favorites of the recent recipes (and mine too). Certainly perfect for a cloudy Sunday.

Mediterranean-style Beef Stew
  • 2 c. dry red wine
  • 1 medium onion chopped, 1/2 c.
  • 2 loves garlic,  minced
  • 1 T. vinegar (I used red-wine vinegar)
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1/4 t. pepper
  • 1/2 t. dried rosemary, crushed
  • 1/2 t. dried thyme, crushed
  • 1/2 t. finely shredded orange peel
  • 2 to 2 1/2 lbs. beef stew meat, cut in 1-inch cubes
  • 2 oz. salt pork
  • 1/2 c. beef broth (or perhaps it is half a can - the recipe just says ¨1/2 beef broth¨)
  • 6 carrots, bias-cut in 1-inch pieces
  • 3 onions, quartered
  • 1 c. pitted ripe olives (I used kalamata)
  • 2 T. cornstarch
  • 2 T. cold water
Combine wine, the 1/2 c. onion, garlic, vinegar, salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme and orange peel. Add beef; stir to coat. Cover and marinate at room temperature for 2 hours. Drain meat, reserving marinade; pat meat dry with paper toweling. In 4-quart Dutch oven cook salt pork till there are 2-3 T. fat; discard pork. Brown meat in the hot fat. Add marinade and broth; bring to boiling. Cover; simmer 1 hour. Add vegetables and olives; simmer covered, 30 to 40 minutes. Blend cornstarch and water; add to pot. Cook and stir until bubbly. Turn into bowl; top with parsley, if desired.

No comments: