Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Summer Reading

I have been inhaling books lately - finishing one book on the bus only to pull out a new one from my bike bag (chosen mainly due to its capacity to carry multiple books along with my other work). I swore earlier in the year that I would focus on memoirs and books with starred reviews, but I've been backsliding - the advance reader's copy shelf at work and the review journals and book blogs I follow offer too much temptation. And I justify it by telling myself that our upcoming sailing trip will be too fraught with adventure to read much - I'm just making up for upcoming lost reading time. Ah well, it's not the worst habit to have, especially if I can share my favorites with friends and family:

Fiction
Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good by Jan Karon
I started reading the Mitford books as a new librarian and was charmed by Episcopalian priest Father Tim and his small town. The last two Father Tim books take place outside of Mitford and I've missed the quirky characters there. This latest volume feels like a homecoming of sorts.

Bertie Plays the Blues by Alexander McCall Smith
The latest in the 44 Scotland Street series, a perfect one for distracted summer days, as it originally was written as a serial. A worthy entry, I always enjoy poor beleaguered Bertie's interactions with his helicopter mother.

The Farm by Tom Rob Smith
When your father tells you your mother is mentally unstable and your mother tells you your father is plotting against you, who should you believe? A wild ride

Non-fiction
The Art of Urban Sketching by Gabriel Campanario/Sketch Your World by James Hobbes
I envy people with travel sketch books filled with memories of their journeys. My drawing ability stalled after the fifth grade (probably because that's when I stopped drawing) - but I finally decided that I can do something artistic just for fun. These two volumes inspired me to go out and draw my world using art supplies I already own. They've tempted me to check out an urban sketching outing sometime in the near future.

Thrive:  the third metric to redefining success and creating a life by Arianna Huffington
A reminder to savor time with friends and family along with practical tools to get to the point where you can comfortably do so. I've tried the desk meditations from calm.com and found them extraordinarily relaxing.

An Age of License by Lucy Knisley
I really enjoyed Knisley's earlier graphic novel memoir Relish and her latest did not disappoint. This is probably where my renewed desire to draw came from. Lucy travels to Europe for a comic conference and explores with her new Swedish lover. I also have a renewed desire to visit the continent.

What are you reading?


3 comments:

charis77d said...

I put a hold on The Farm e-book. It sounds intriguing.

Rosemary Washington said...

I am on the reserve list for the Urban Sketching book. Let me know if you want company for an urban sketching outing. I'd be interested in checking one out, too.

I've just read A Man Called Ove. I recommend it.

bicycling librarian said...

Mom, let me know what you think of the Farm.

Rosemary, I'd love some company on a sketching outing, though I'll be out of town for their September trip. I've put a hold on A Man Called Ove, but it looks like I'll have to wait a while for it to arrive.