Sunday, August 10, 2014

Focus

I am a generalist. In my Girl Scout years, I probably had more Dabbler badges than any other type (not that I had very many badges, mind you). This tendency is probably the reason I fit in so well with public libraries. Each reference question sends me off in a different direction. With each school-age children's program I learn something new. No two days are the same. It's the same in my personal life - I love to read, cook, run, knit, bike, sail, write, draw, swim outdoors, sing, and play guitar. Heck, if I could, I'd build all of those activities into one perfect day.

Sadly, there is not enough time in the day to do every activity that I love and when I try to pack too many in, in the service of being "well-rounded", I find myself stretched thin, going off in too many directions.

Our organization's strategic plan lists the "core services" of our library - the things that we do on a day to day basis because of our values that make us who we are. We also have areas of "strategic focus" - items that are currently our next most important priorities. When we have the opportunity to try something new, we examine whether it fits in with either our core services or areas of strategic focus before moving ahead with it.

So earlier this week, I decided to give that model a chance in my personal life as well. Things like getting enough sleep, exercising and eating healthily are foundation habits or my "core services", while I am testing out choosing one or two areas of focus per month.

I don't have all of my upcoming months scheduled out yet, but August is now my month of knitting (one of my good friends has a baby due around Labor Day and I am determined to finish the baby blanket before then) and sailing, since our annual sailing vacation starts later this month.

I started my knitting focus on Wednesday and have been making great progress knitting on the bus, during work breaks and while watching Jeopardy. I'll be traveling for work this week and I am confident that I will finish by the time my plane lands again in Seattle.

Here's my draft schedule:
September - Running - step up training for November half marathon
October - Singing - start voice lessons
November - Writing - participate in NaNoWriMo
December - Cooking - explore new recipes (Trent is excited about this one)

What projects or hobbies are you focusing on?

3 comments:

Rosemary Washington said...

I, too, am a generalist and find it hard to carve out a committed focus on one or two main projects. One top goal is to run around Green Lake everyday -- just for my general health and well being. I have been making that happen. My second top priority would be to grow as a painter -- to paint or sketch every day. I can't seem to pull this one off.

Other competing goals on my wish list:
-- to blog every day
-- to get rid of all excess stuff from my 60 years of life
-- to lose 10 pounds forever
-- to read less and live more
-- to become friends with my daughter, a real companion

bicycling librarian said...

Isn't it funny that both of us have the goal to read less, when most people would have the opposite goal? I'm impressed that you run Green Lake every day. I can only manage a couple of times a week.

If only I had the time and support to be a Renaissance woman.

Unknown said...

Love this and how you tied it to strategic focus!! I'm going to follow your model.